What do you think of Richard Dawkins?

Forum for the discussion and examination of the rational foundations of religion.
proctorcarbomb

Re: What do you think of Richard Dawkins?

Post by proctorcarbomb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 am

Since when did Science BB become such an atheist board?

Trout

Post by Trout » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 am

Chandler98 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am
Success attracts criticism, and Dawkins is successful at what he's doing. Every humanist, rationalist, agnostic, atheist, and scientific-minded person out there would rather there be Dawkins than not.

Not to mention he's also an excellent science writer for general audiences.
Agreed.

Many people hate on him, but when you call them out on it and ask why, they give you unsubstantiated rants where they pretty much say, like children, "I hate him because... Just because!".

Actually, this goes for everything that is popular, and it applies especially to those who are popular and *good* at what they do.

Anyway, I've read The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene and thoroughly enjoyed reading both of them. Are his other books as good?

SiMdOwMaN

Post by SiMdOwMaN » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 am

I see him as if you got Carl Sagan, but instead of his gentle and humble, yet wise and logical approach, he is a bit more forward, which is fair enough seeing as it is his goal to stop those who wish to suppress skeptical reasoning.

exabyte

Post by exabyte » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 am

SiMdOwMaN wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 am
I see him as if you got Carl Sagan, but instead of his gentle and humble, yet wise and logical approach, he is a bit more forward, which is fair enough seeing as it is his goal to stop those who wish to suppress skeptical reasoning.
I agree. Two different people with different personalities and living in different times.

You can like his humor, personality, and rhetoric or you don't.

You can also disagree with him scientifically, albeit, as far as I've heard, he seems to be quite proficient in his field.

I like him and his public appearances, he seems quite humane and funny, but I would have no problem to call his bullshit out if he suddenly started to behave crazy.

I've yet to see evidence of "baseless worshiping" of Dawkins, although a few of his fans can get annoying at times. But hey, many fandoms are far worse. And I won't even talk about those that oppose him politically.

So overall, he's not the Sagan of our decade, but I've yet to see a valid critique of his positions.

Snake Productions

Post by Snake Productions » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 am

Trout wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 am
Anyway, I've read The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene and thoroughly enjoyed reading both of them. Are his other books as good?
I didn't like The Greatest Show on Earth as much as those. It's too much "I WILL SHOW YOU ANOTHER PROOF OF EVOLUTION", which I consider a shallow topic for me, personally.

But it's written in a similar style, so maybe you can check it out in a library first. It's definitively not bad for a popular science book.

Bizmark13

Post by Bizmark13 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 am

I don't care for his politics, but his books on evolution are very good.

Michael Ruger

Post by Michael Ruger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 am

proctorcarbomb wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 am
Since when did Science BB become such an atheist board?
This is not an atheist board, I know the owner is not an atheist.

However, I agree it was surprising to see how many atheists there are on here.