Using teratoma cells to grow tissues and organs?

The science of dealing with the maintenance of health and the prevention and treatment of disease.
Trout

Re: Using teratoma cells to grow tissues and organs?

Post by Trout » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am

Ollie wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:19 am
Can we use teratoma cells for growing complex organs like eyes?

I don't really know much about the subject, but these sorts of things really fascinate me.
Hmm... Wouldn't it be cool if you could grow a brain in one of those?

Edit: On second thought, I guess the risk of the organ becoming cancerous would be way too high. In fact, I'm not sure whether you can control the growth at all. It seems to be totally random which would probably lead to cancer.

proctorcarbomb

Post by proctorcarbomb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:40 am

Kyler wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 am
Chandler98 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 am
Theoretically, we can grow complex organs from stem cells (teratomas come from rogue stem cells). So, yes, it's possible. But we're not very good at it yet.

P.S. This kind of shit is what keeps me away from studying medicine.
That is nothing compared to certain doctors.

A teratoma will only harm you if it was growing inside you but there are worse things in medicine.

I had the impression that in the medical field, there are people who do it to help people, people that do it because of money/family, and sadistic sociopaths. And it seems like a field that involves performing painful procedures - poking babies with needles and opening someone's gut might attract a higher proportion of sadists than the population average. My theory is that these people are smart enough to not mess around too much with their patients and enjoy the occasional moments when causing pain is necessary but when dealing with lower hierarchy workers and/or students they will enjoy torturing them. Seriously, there was one chief of the anatomy department who enjoyed humiliating students and co-workers; one of the teachers ran away crying after he humiliated her, and she was his wife!

On the other hand, there are some really good people in the medical field as well (like just about any field) but there are also many wicked people there too (again, like just about any field). You can get used to see deformed fetuses but I don't think I will ever get used to dealing with sociopaths.

Well there's my rant for today.
And worse, they are the smart psychos.

Stupid psychos just go around killing people until they are caught. But if one is smart enough to graduate with a degree in medicine then he/she is smart enough to cause suffering and pain in a way that they won't get caught and enjoy a long life making people miserable.

romaan

Post by romaan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:34 am

Kyler wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 am
Chandler98 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 am
Theoretically, we can grow complex organs from stem cells (teratomas come from rogue stem cells). So, yes, it's possible. But we're not very good at it yet.

P.S. This kind of shit is what keeps me away from studying medicine.
That is nothing compared to certain doctors.

A teratoma will only harm you if it was growing inside you but there are worse things in medicine.

I had the impression that in the medical field, there are people who do it to help people, people that do it because of money/family, and sadistic sociopaths. And it seems like a field that involves performing painful procedures - poking babies with needles and opening someone's gut might attract a higher proportion of sadists than the population average. My theory is that these people are smart enough to not mess around too much with their patients and enjoy the occasional moments when causing pain is necessary but when dealing with lower hierarchy workers and/or students they will enjoy torturing them. Seriously, there was one chief of the anatomy department who enjoyed humiliating students and co-workers; one of the teachers ran away crying after he humiliated her, and she was his wife!

On the other hand, there are some really good people in the medical field as well (like just about any field) but there are also many wicked people there too (again, like just about any field). You can get used to see deformed fetuses but I don't think I will ever get used to dealing with sociopaths.

Well there's my rant for today.
Medicine attracts a wide variety of people, which is probably the reason why the field is as multidisciplinary and 'vibrant' as it is. While the occasional sociopaths may show up, you also find very compassionate people, very competent people, and mixes of all kind.

The broadness of the field also means that you can pretty much combine any other high-level specialization and still have it benefit medicine:

Mix in nuclear physics and you have nuclear medicine.
Mix in various wave and EM-related physics and engineering and you get radiology.
Mix in guts, knives, and unconscious people and you have surgery.
Mix in chemistry and you have lab diagnostics and pharmacology.
Mix in mechanical engineering and you have prostheses and artificial hearts.
Mix in electronic engineering and you have cochlear implants.
Mix in artists and you get plastic surgery.

And so on...